As the UK HealthCare community prepares for the most significant pandemic medical crisis in over a century, there are many concerns over PPE, allocation of scarce resources, and at-risk family members. But what about the moral protection and support services healthcare providers need in a medical crisis? The UK HealthCare Ethics Committee and Clinical Ethics Consultation Service has Moral Support Services in the form of expertise and peer support to reduce:
- Moral Distress: constrained from “doing the right thing.” See: www.moraldistressproject.org
- Moral Residue: unresolved moral distress that lingers and affects your professional life.
- Moral Fatigue: feeling exhausted because of too many morally distressing decisions.
- Moral Injury: feeling directly responsible for an immoral act. See: https://moralinjuryproject.syr.edu/about-moral-injury/
Here is a list of Moral Support Resources.
UK HealthCare Psychiatry has developed a program called REST – Reaching out to Employees with Stress reduction and behavioral health Treatment. REST provides UK HealthCare faculty and staff a range of stress reduction, coping skills and behavioral resources while working on the front line of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Call 859-323-6021; press option 1, then press option 2. Depending on your needs, you will be provided immediate therapist intervention, offered an appointment or referred to the appropriate UK Work+Life resource.
UK Health & Wellness has received permission to fund FREE nicotine replacement therapy to UK HealthCare employees without enrolling in a cessation program at this time. The following are available to you:
- Nicotine gum or lozenges: Starter packs are available to UK employees free of charge at UK Retail Pharmacies. Use one piece every one to two hours as needed for cravings. See the pharmacist at one of UK HealthCare’s retail pharmacies to get started.
- Additional NRT (beyond starter pack of gum or lozenges): Nicotine gum, lozenges and patches are available to employees free of charge in consultation with UK Health & Wellness. Contact Jackie Hanson (email@example.com; 218- 4891) or Audrey Darville (firstname.lastname@example.org; 323-4222) to ensure you are getting the maximum benefit from using these products.
As always, UK HealthCare employees can still receive free treatment/coaching and free cessation medications if enrolled in treatment and coaching by certified tobacco treatment specialists Audrey Darville, APRN, TTS, and Jackie Hanson, TTS, with UK Health & Wellness.
Click HERE to learn more about tobacco cessation.
- Narrative Medicine Series, Session 1 (3 min)
- Narrative Medicine Series, Session 2 (3 min)
- Narrative Medicine Visualization Exercise
- T’ai Chi (10 min)
- Music Therapy (5 min)
- Five Senses Meditation
- Mood Music
- Labyrinth Walking and Creation
- Focusing Meditation
- Tree Grounding
- Waterfall Meditation
- Tree Mindfulness
- Art Therapy
- Calm (App)
- COVID-19: 5 Tips to Face Your Anxiety (Article)
- Headspace (App)
- Helping Children Cope with Emergencies (Article)
- How to Deal with Anxiety Amid the Coronavius (30 min)
- Improving Physician Well-Being, Restoring Meaning in Medicine (Article)
- Moral Support for COVID-19 (Article)
- Managing Mental Health During COVID-19 (Article)
- Managing Healthcare Workers’ Stress Associated with the COVID-19 Virus Outbreak (Article)
- Pocket Card for Quality of Life (App)
- Sadhguru (App)
- Stress and Coping (Article)
- Taking Care of Ourselves During Infectious Disease Outbreaks (Article)
- Taking Care of Your Emotional Health (Article)
- UK HealthCare Healing Moments (Article)
- UK Human Resources Work+Life Connections Counseling (Telehealth Services)
- DoYogaWithMe (Videos)
- Fitness Blender (Videos)
- UK Campus Recreation and Wellness
- Virtual YMCA
- Why You Should Remain Active (Article)
- Yoga (Videos)
- Shared Well-Being Breaks
- Awakening Your Inner Nurturer (22 min)
- Circle of Control: A Tool for Rumination & Worry (5 min)
- Communicating Mindfully (39 min)
- Creating a Resilient Mindset (27 min)
- No One is an Island: Avoiding Isolation (18 min)
- Well-Being During Trying Times (Article)
University Health & Safety information is available at www.uky.edu/coronavirus/health-and-safety.