In keeping with CDC guidelines, UK HealthCare is issuing new instructions for students/learners who will need to enter UK HealthCare facilities. Students will be asked to complete an electronic screening survey prior to entry each time as well as wear a universal mask and comply with social distancing guidelines. See the protocol for details.
(new language in red)
As of May 11, all inpatient and outpatient surgeries and procedures require COVID-19 testing.*
The following procedure types require COVID-19 testing:
- The following hospital outpatient procedures/surgeries with test performed 72-96 hours prior to procedure:
- Anesthesia-supported procedures performed in any venue.
- Conscious sedation procedures performed in Endoscopy, Cath lab, EP lab, IR/NIR, pediatric sedation, diagnostic radiology.
- All adult inpatient admissions to UK HealthCare facilities will be tested upon admission.
- Pediatric admissions age 10 and under do not require testing if they are asymptomatic and are not going for a procedure or surgery.
- Inpatients will not require retesting prior to procedure if they are asymptomatic but should be screened** for COVID-19 symptoms prior to procedure.
- Admitted ASYMPTOMATIC patients being tested for COVID pre-procedure/surgery DO NOT need to be placed in airborne isolation nor does the patient need to be in isolation while we wait for the swab results.
- All employees should be wearing their standard mask in all areas so this will provide some source control if in fact the patient did have a positive result.
- The staff member performing the actual COVID PCR Swab should don N95, face/eye protection, and gloves to collect the specimen. NO GOWN is needed.
Hospital-based procedures that are repeated weekly should have a COVID test performed at the beginning of the series. These patients will not require retesting before each procedure. These patients should be educated to self-isolate and must have screening for COVID-19 symptoms prior to each procedure. However, if the series extends beyond a one-month timeframe, retesting will be required every 30 days.
Testing is not required for clinic procedures because typical clinic procedures are at low risk for COVID dissemination and the need for N95 masks. These procedures have almost no risk of requiring a patient to be intubated or admitted to the hospital. For these clinic procedure types, screening of the patient for COVID-19 symptoms and appropriate use of PPE is sufficient.
If a patient tests positive for COVID, the procedure should be rescheduled and the patient retested using the following criteria: Read more…
Beginning Thursday, June 25, N95 masks will be available for pick-up in Materials Management instead of Chandler Hospital C-104. Come to Supply & Distribution (A.O.B400) in the basement of Chandler Hospital Pavilion A to pick up an N95 mask. Read more…